On October 6, 2016 all Westwood students with permission will walk to school. Please see the attached safe routes to Westwood.
Safe Routes to Westwood
Please note that times listed below are estimated and are subject to change.Your child should be at their designated stop at least 10 minutes early,and the bus could be up to 10 minutes late. Thank you for your patience in this. Please call the school with any concerns 540-946-4670 between 7:45 am - 3:45 pm.
WPS Bus Routes
Please contact the Transportation Department if you have questions about the bus route for your area.
Transportation and Maintenance
Waynesboro Public Schools
(540) 946-4600 x 35
Arrival & Dismissal Information
Walking is a wonderful way to get to and from school. If you wish for your child to walk to and/or from school, please read the important information below and complete the permission form where indicated.
Rules specific to Westwood are as follows:
- A walker must be accompanied by an adult or an older sibling if in grades K-3.
- All walkers must cross Rosser Avenue with the Westwood crossing guard.
- If a parent is walking to the school to accompany their student walker at dismissal time, he/she may not leave the school with his/her student until the student has checked in with the appointed staff member in the front lobby.
- If there is rain or other inclement weather at dismissal time, we will send your student as a walker unless you have set up an alternate plan.
- Due to safety concerns and to reduce traffic on Rosser Avenue, there is no morning or afternoon car drop off or pick up in the front parking lot.
Bicycle Rider Information
Grades 4 & 5
Biking is a wonderful way to get to and from school. If you wish your child to ride his/her bike to school, please sign the permission slip below and review the procedures with your child.
Rules specific toWestwood are as follows:
- A bicycle rider must have a permission form on file in the school office.
- A bicycle rider must wear a bicycle helmet.
- Students must leave the bicycle parking area immediately after arriving at school and after dismissal from school.
- Students must walk their bikes on the sidewalk when entering the school parking lots.
- Students should lock bicycles in the bike rack. The school is not responsible for stolen bikes.
Please review the bicycle safety information at the Virginia DMV website address DMV Bicycle Rules of the Road Some of the pertinent information is included below:
- Ride with traffic.
- Stop and look both ways before entering the street.
- If you are a new or inexperienced rider, it's a good idea to stop at all intersections.
- Before turning, use hand signals and look all ways.
- Be a responsible bicyclist - obey all traffic control devices and use proper hand signals.
- Ride defensively - anticipate the actions of other road users and watch for road hazards.
- Pass vehicles with extreme care - turning vehicles may not see you.
- Be aware of motor vehicle blind spots while riding or when stopped at an intersection.
- Walk your bicycle when you get into traffic situations beyond your cycling abilities.
- Exercise great caution when riding in bus traffic - watch out for buses pulling to and from curbs and passengers getting on and off buses.
- Park your bicycle so you do not block sidewalks, disabled accesses, building accesses, or emergency drives.
All of our car riders are in the back parking lot. You may get to this parking lot by turning on Lover's Lane off of Rosser Avenue. Turn LEFT onto Northgate. This will bring you into the back of the school. Stay in your vehicle and our staff will radio into the hallway before children are sent out to meet you. See the Arrival and Dismissal traffic pattern attachment below.